Powered By Blogger

Monday 15 August 2011

Weekend well spent

You cant say no to free food so what do you do with a glut of apples that aren't too good for eating? Cook em all up and chuck em in the freezer to make gorgeous apple crumble in the winter!



Then what do you do with a bunch on over ripe bananas? Make banana bread! This is the recipe I used, it was super easy and gorgeous -

125ml milk
1 large egg
1/2 tsp salt
50g melted butter
125g caster sugar
360g self raising flour
3 very ripe bananas (chopped into 1cm chunks)
Vegetable oil for greasing

Grease a loaf tin with vegetable oil. Add the sugar, flour and salt to a bowl then make a well in the middle. Pour in the milk, melted butter and egg. Mix together, right now it'll look quite dry but don't worry! Mix in the bananas well this will loosen things up! Pour into the tin and bake for 50 minuets until cooked. I always check with a clean knife, if it comes out clean it's done but if theres mixture on it it needs longer.

This is my finished result -



I even had a little left over to make some wee muffins which too about 20 minuets to cook -




These were lush hot from the oven!

I made a start this weekend on the back garden and buy do I have my work cut out! I'm starting with the "flower bed" in the middle of the lawn that's more like a mountain full of winter flowering Heather. This looks great in winter but the rest of the time is really nasty. I want to lay it to lawn so I need to get the grass seed down by the end of September! the only problem is that the Heather is so dense it took me 2 hours to barely make a dent in it! I really have my work cut out!

Both of my Eglu's have now been sold and I'm impressed that we even managed to make a bit of money on them. We've only just been refunded on the chicken coop that we cancelled on eBay, took over a week to sort out! This money is going to pay for us to go away next month for our first wedding anniversary! But we now have a chicken free house and garden :-/ I'm trying to look on the positive side though.

No more alarm clocks 7 days a week
No more worrying about who's going to look after them when were way
No more worrying about shutting them in when we go out for the evening
No more clutter on the kitchen floor (feed sacks, bedding, cleaning stuff)

And now they have full run of a farm and other chooks for company!

But I really do miss them! Even my hubby said he misses them!

I have an objective this week . . . . Make myself an apron for when I'm baking. I always get covered in flour! Lol

V x

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment